TDK Corporation announces the availability of the InvenSense SmartSense, a compact, wireless multi-sensor solution designed for a plethora of IoT applications. The new, out-of-the-box sensor solution enables accurate and remote monitoring, data collection and specific IoT sensor application outputs via BLE and Wi-Fi.
IoT applications covered by the new sensor module include smart doors, robotic vacuums, asset monitoring, patient activity monitoring, HVAC filtering and air mouse monitoring. The list of algorithms will be expanded in the coming months, based on emerging market requirements. The module also provides autonomous SD Card data logging for applications deriving value from large data volumes.
SmartSense integrates TDK’s IMU, magnetometer, pressure, temperature, and ultrasonic sensors with high-precision algorithms in a one-size-fits-all solution. The module serves as an easy-to-use prototyping platform by enabling OEMs to gain application insights, signatures and environment variations. Its small size, flat base and wireless features allow for quick and easy prototyping.
For example, a company manufacturing patient activity monitors needs both high-resolution and low-noise IMU data, as well as meaningful algorithmic information about patients’ gait, body posture and balance. SmartSense provides all this information, enabling OEMs to quickly prototype their products while working closely with TDK to get secure access to medical algorithms and IMUs.
- BLE: Bluetooth Low Energy
- IMU: Inertial Measurement Unit
- SD Card: Secure Digital Card is a proprietary non-volatile memory card for use in portable devices
- MEMS: Micro-Electro-Mechanical Systems
SmartSense addresses a wide range of IoT applications, including but not limited to:
- Smart Door Lock Detection
- Asset Monitoring
- HVAC Filter Monitoring and Alerting
- Air Motion Library
- Robo-Vacuum Movement Detection
- Patient Activity Monitoring (e.g., cervical analysis, balance control and gait analysis)
- Out-of-the-box, one-size-fits-all solution
- Sensors: IMU, magnetometer, pressure, temperature, humidity and ultrasonic
- Arm Cortex M4 MCU
- Wireless connectivity: BLE and WI-FI
- Rechargeable battery (290 mAh)
- USB interface
- Wireless multi-sensor data streaming to a Win 10 GUI
- Autonomous data logging from multiple sensors on an SD card
- Embedded motion sensor events such as Tap, Tilt, Raise to Wake, Pedometer, Wake on Motion
- Dedicated sensor algorithm outputs showcasing multiple IoT applications.
TDK will demonstrate SmartSense, along with the industry’s most comprehensive portfolio of passive components, sensors, power supplies and batteries, in its booth #11448 at CES, Central Hall (LVCC), Las Vegas Convention Centre, January 7-10, 2020 in Las Vegas.
Comment on this article below or via Twitter: @IoTNow_OR @jcIoTnow
- IoT Contract Hot List – November/December 2019
- Why Does Your CTO Must Have a Ph.D.?
- Missing 41bn IoT devices: Is this the biggest prediction miss in IT history?
- MultiTech Celebrates 50 Years of Innovation
- Kerlink signs IoTdc as Internet of Things solutions distributor into South Africa
- Guide to Edge Computing: The next frontier for Telecoms Service Providers